Frequently Asked Questions
Are there professional standards for the coaching industry?
Yes, there is a code of ethics, core competencies, accreditation processes, and an International Coach Federation (industry association) that promotes the advancement of coaches. To learn more about this, click here: http://www.coachfederation.org/ICF/
What is an Executive Coach?
The International Coach Federation (“ICF”) defines coaching as partnering with clients in a thought-provoking and creative process that inspires them to maximize their personal and professional potential, which is particularly important in today’s uncertain and complex environment.
As a certified coach, I honor the client as the expert in his or her life and work and believe every client is creative, resourceful, and whole. Standing on this foundation, my responsibility is to:
- Discover, clarify, and align with what the client wants to achieve
- Encourage client self-discovery
- Elicit client-generated solutions and strategies
- Hold the client responsible and accountable
How will I know you are the right coach for me?
During our initial conversations or discovery session, together we will identify if this is an appropriate fit. So, before you say "yes", you will have a sample of what the coaching experience will be like. Until then, click on my bio page to learn more about me and my approach to coaching.
How do I get started in the coaching process?
If you are interested in beginning the coaching process, please schedule an initial discovery session to further explore the details of the coaching relationship.
What can I expect from you as my coach?
- I will always assume you are doing your best with the best intent.
- I will make direct requests and, at times, provide you with direct feedback based on my observations and what you tell me. You may accept a request, make a counteroffer (say what you will do instead), or decline. If you choose to decline, together we will find a way that works best for you.
- I will be your champion and advocate –always holding a vision of your best self for you.
- I will ask you to stretch beyond your comfort zone.
- I will work with you to identify what you’re best at and how to fully leverage it.
- I will coach you as a whole person, though we may narrow our focus to specific topics at times.
- I will take good care of myself, so I can be my best for our work together and fully focus on you during our coaching sessions.
- I will continue to learn and grow as a coach through continuing education and working with my own professional coach.
- I will abide by our coaching agreement and by the Code of Ethics of the International Coach Federation.
I believe you have all the answers within you, yet you may not be able to access them on your own. It’s my job to have the questions, tools, structures, inquiries, requests, and assignments to assist you in finding your answers.
What will I ask from you as my client?
- Do your best but don’t try to be perfect.
- Do what you say you will do.
- Communicate with me fully, even if it’s about how I am coaching you.
- Take responsibility for your own success or failure.•Have a positive mental attitude.
- Come from caring and kindness.
- Have a high level of honesty and integrity.
- Be open and vulnerable; show the real you without being self-righteous.
- Enjoy our sessions together; we can accomplish a lot and still have fun.
- Be willing to look at all areas of your life and how they impact what you are trying to accomplish and the bigger picture of your vision for yourself.
What if I sign up for this and decide it is not right for me? Do you have a money-back guarantee?
Yes, I call it my "participate and get your money back" guarantee. If within the first month of our relationship you show up to the calls and participate fully in the coaching process, you can simply let me know this is not working for you and I will completely refund your money. To honor the coaching agreement and the coaching process, if you sign up and do not show up for your coaching sessions, do not do the follow-up work, etc., then we will not refund your money.
SECURITY & CONFIDENTIALITY
Are the client center and my data secured and safe?
Yes! In fact, there are 3 levels of security provided to keep your data safe and confidential:
- Username and password protected
- Verisign Security Certificate protects your data on this site
- Secured pages (https://)
Is my information confidential?
Yes. This site is protected by a username/password system. You are the only one that has access to your information.
Can I contact you in between our scheduled coaching sessions?
Yes! In the event that you would like support on something that comes up in between our meetings, you can post an inquiry to the Client Log and we can have "just-in-time" coaching via your Private Client Website.
ACCESSING THE PRIVATE CLIENT AREA
What is the "Register Now" link and when would I use it?
If you are interested in becoming a client or beginning the coaching process, you can create your own account to access the private client area. When you "register", I will be notified that your account has been created, and will need to activate your account. This could take up to 24 hours.
How do I access your private client area and how do I log in?
Click on the Client Login link in the navigational menu of the website. Then enter the username and password that has been assigned to you. Don't have login information yet? Contact me so we can get an account created for you.
I have a password that I use for most of my online accounts. Can I change the password you assigned to me?
Yes. You will need to log in initially using the password I assigned to you. Once you log in, you can change your password at any time on your Client Profile page, found under the FORMS tab.
What if I forget or lose my password and login information?
If you simply forgot your password, you can still go to the Login page by clicking the Login link. Click on the blue link "forgot password" to the right of the "Login" button and, in the new "Forgot Password" window, enter your username and click on the "Continue" button. You will receive an email shortly with your password included.
If you misplaced both your username and password, contact me and I will forward your username information and you can update your password by following the information noted above.
I’m trying to log in, but it will not accept my username or password. What do I do?
Remember that the login information IS case sensitive, so enter it exactly as it was given to you. Also, type in your login credentials and DO NOT copy/paste them, as this procedure can include empty spaces which count in a password, thus rendering incorrect. Again, if you do not remember your login credentials, you can contact me via email and I'll forward your username to you.
FORMS, DOCUMENTS, AND RESOURCES AVAILABLE
What makes up a "Welcome Packet" and what do I do with this?
A welcome packet consists of some basic forms, documents, and resources that will help to get us started in the coaching process. By completing the information in the welcome packet, you are providing me with some helpful information so that I know best how to support you, guide you, and work together with you. It includes a "Client Profile" form, a "Goals" form, and a "Discovery" form. You will also find our coaching agreement located in this packet. It is customary for you to complete these items prior to our initial coaching session together.
What if I need to reschedule my appointment?
It's easy. With at least a 24-hour notice, you can reschedule any appointment by using the online calendar system. Just complete the following steps:
- Log into your Private Client Website Area.
- Click on the Calendar Menu.
- Locate and click on the desired block of “Available” time (or if you already have an existing appointment, click on the title of your existing appointment that you wish to reschedule).
- Click on the "edit" button and change the details of the appointment to correspond with an "Available" block of time.
- The calendar will update itself, you'll see your new appointment reflected, and I will receive an email notification letting me know of the change.
PAYING FOR THE COACHING SERVICES
How do I easily make my payments for my coaching services?
Each month you'll receive an invoice from my practice letting you know the amount committed to for that month. You can (1) mail a check to the "remit to" address located right on the invoice or (2) log in to the private client area, click on the Payments Menu and you will see any outstanding balances due at that time. Other payment options are available which we can discuss prior to our initial coaching session.
What are the various methods of payment I can use to pay for my coaching services?
Check, Cash, Waived, Barter, Credit Card (which includes Pay Pal). You can also have your coach process your payments for you each month on a credit/debit card.
- To pay by Check: simply use the "remit to" address located to the right in the body of the invoice you’ll receive monthly from my practice.
- To pay by Credit Card or Pay Pal: when you receive your monthly invoice, click on the link at the bottom of the invoice to log into the private client area and click on the Payments Menu. Here you can either enter your credit card number or Pay Pal information and my system will automatically (and securely) process your payment.
- To have your coach process your payments for you: Complete the "Credit Card Authorization" form found under the Documents section of the private client area. Once I have the authorization and billing information, I will automatically process your payments for you as outlined in the authorization form.