I focus much of my coaching and consulting on leaders, executives, business owners, teams, and groups. However, I came across this list of competencies for individual contributors that I felt would be a great resource for you. Referring to these competencies before and during conversations with your team members may help unleash their (or your) unknown potential.
These competencies differentiate the most effective individual contributors:
- Displays high integrity and honesty
- Has technical or professional expertise
- Solves problems and analyzes issues
- Practices self-development
Focus on Results
- Drives for results
- Establishes stretch goals
- Takes initiative
- Communicates powerfully and prolifically
- Sets an example of high performance
- Builds relationships
- Develops others
- Engages in collaboration and teamwork
- Has broad perspectives
- Champions change
- Connects the group to the outside world (networking)
We tend to forget that leaders are also individual contributors. The team members you manage will be quicker and more likely to exhibit these characteristics when they see them in you. Succinctly, you cannot lead where you will not go.
How well do you exhibit these traits? Who inspires, supports, and encourages you to build upon your own potential?
Need an external source to help you identify those traits, personally and within your team, that are important to you? Let’s chat.
P.S. Book a Complimentary Strategy Session so we can get you moving in the right direction; click on my Complimentary Strategy Session calendar link here and let’s book a time together so you can get started today!